Monday, February 28, 2005

Don't say I'm crazy or I'll kick you!

I am planning on using hypnosis for a natural childbirth when I deliver this baby. I don't tell an awful lot of people about it, because they look at me like I have 12 heads. And then a lot of people will try to tell me how crazy I am for wanting a natural childbirth, and then they start in with the labor horror stories. It's almost as if they are feeling bad about not being able to do it without drugs with their own experiences, so they try to undermine my efforts. I'm not sure that most women realize they are doing it, but its cruel. I am trying to talk myself into being able to say to people who start in on me, "Look, I am planning a beautiful birth experience for myself and my baby, and I would appreciate your support rather than your negative feedback. If you can't tell me any positive stories, we will need to change the subject." This will be very hard for me to do, as I am a chicken-shit. I'm sure what will happen is that I will grit my teeth through a bunch of people's stories, and finally blow my top from holding it in so long on the last unsuspecting person to bring it up. Poor girl.

I am really excited, because I just got my homestudy course in the mail. I am excited to get started with it. I wish there was someone in Utah who taught this particular technique, but so far I have been unable to find anyone. Maybe it will go so well with me that after the baby is born I will be inspired to get certified to teach it.

4 Comments:

At Mon Feb 28, 01:47:00 PM MST, Blogger bettyrae said...

You have my support! I'm behind you all the way.
Having used hypnosis when I had foot surgery I know it works!

 
At Mon Feb 28, 01:57:00 PM MST, Blogger Unknown said...

I won't say you're crazy, but you're certainly braver than I am. I'll support you, all the while marveling at your strength and grit. You go, girl. (As white as I am, I can't really pull that off, can I?)

 
At Mon Feb 28, 02:00:00 PM MST, Blogger Beck said...

Thank you, mom! You don't know how much it means to me. My new course tells me that I should have my birth partner (obviously Kitt), but that it is always helpful to have a second birth helper there as well because I am never supposed to be left alone. Perhaps you would like the job again? I was so glad you were there before!

 
At Mon Feb 28, 04:57:00 PM MST, Blogger bettyrae said...

I will be there! Thank you for that opportunity! As long as Kitt feels ok about it too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home