Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A rose by any other name (except for Stenchblossom) would smell as sweet

Friday at 1:30 I have to drink a quart of water--an ungodly amount--and then sit around for an hour, with a baby jumping up and down on my bladder, mind you, and then I'll be having an ultrasound. I hope the jerks at the hospital don't make me wait past the time my appointment is, or I'll pee all over the waiting room floor as sweet, sweet revenge.

But anyways. The point is, come Friday, assuming the little alien is in the right position, we will hopefully find out if we're having a boy or a girl. (Oh, and if it's got all its limbs or nine heads or whatnot.) My gut tells me it is a girl. if that's the case, she will be Robin Rae. If it's a boy...well... we're in for some trouble. We just can't agree on any boy names. We took a long time to decide on Aiden for the first lil' critter; and then come to find out Aiden is one of the top 10 names the last couple of years. Had I known then! Dammit, we picked a FAD NAME, and I couldn't be more pissed. I thought I was being so cool!

I came up with a new list of boy names that won't make me puke, just in case. And I ran them through this kick-ass website. Turns out, many of the names that appeal to me are gaining popularity again, and it makes me want to barf. I don't want my kid to grow up with a fad name. I don't want him to have a weirdo name that no one can pronounce either, but I would like it to be sort of different. Because with a last name like Davis-- let's face it, you're always going to be forgettable unless you have a power first name.

Here's your chance to give your imput in the matter:








Help us name the new baby
If its a boy, what should we name him?
Edmund
Jonas
Ellis
Owen
Sam
Eli
Abel
Christian
View Result
Free Web Polls

I know, I know... our list looks like it's straight off the 1880 census. But it's either these names or crap like Hunter or Dakota or Damian. (Sorry if your kid is named one of those... I have a nasty habit of insulting people that way...)

Incidentally, I had a good laugh when I put 'Becky' into the Baby Name Navigator. It was popular in the 60's, but nowadays I might as well be named Bertha for how used it is.

4 Comments:

At Thu Feb 24, 08:30:00 AM MST, Blogger Unknown said...

Owen and Sam are my two choices. Owen is a great "cool guy" name. Sam is strong, monosyllabic and just a neat name.

Growing up, I was the only Sarah I knew. Now - whoa. When I was a youth leader I had three Sarah's in my group. At my current church, there are three other Sarah's. And there are three Sarah's that comment on my blog. They're all other the place! It's a great name and I've always liked it: it can't be abbreviated and it's simple to pronounce - no surprises, just like me.

 
At Thu Feb 24, 08:41:00 AM MST, Blogger Beck said...

I used to think that Owen was a "fat guy name", but it's starting to grow on me. It's Kitt's grandpa's name. I really like Ellis (My great-grandpa's name), but Ellis Davis sounds dumb. Looks like I'll never get to use it. Same with Jonas.

That's right, you WERE the only Sarah! Especially Sarah with an H. There was always Becky C. to contend with for me, until she moved away in 3rd or 4th grade. Now I work with Becky H. I hate having to be known as Becky D. What's worse is that we share an office, along with 3 other people, so whenever someone calls for Becky we both respond.

By the way, Lucius Atherton is a certain special someone whose dick you used to pull. His site is Lingua Frank in my links...

 
At Thu Feb 24, 01:19:00 PM MST, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, good times, good times. Why I did that I'll never know. High school was weird, and so was I.

Thankfully I'm the only Sarah at work. We had another one for like a month and she quickly learned that I'm Queen Bee and she was never going to be anything but a worker bee.

 
At Fri Feb 25, 09:36:00 AM MST, Blogger Sara Z. said...

I, too, cast my lot with Owen. Because Owen Wilson is so cool. I also like Otis, but that wasn't a choice, and I guess Otis Davis would sound kind of...lame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home