Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Boo!

Today's Cereal: Honeycomb (its so big, yeah, yeah, yeah!)
Current Mood: Overwhelmed

So, sorry I've been neglecting my blog. Life goes on, and you don't need to know about it. Except that my mother was in the hospital with blood clots in her lungs and in both legs. Yeah, scary. But I knew in my heart and in my mind that she would be okay. She's home now, and slowly recuperating.

I went out yesterday and bought a Batman costume for The Boy. It will be the first Halloween that he will have a clue about what's going on, and Kitt and I are excited to take him trick-or-treating. Guess what we are dressing baby Robin as? Batman's sidekick, of course. Don't be stupid.

I love Halloween. I love the costumes, the scariness, and especially the candy (Kitt and I start buying candy a month in advance, because we know we are going to eat half of it before Halloween is even close.) I love ghost stories. I love the Halloween shows that my radio station does every year where listeners call in with their real-life ghost experiences. They also have the Utah Ghost Investigators Society on every year, and they play recordings they have made of ghosts. That one was on this morning. So SPOOKY! And I am home alone. More or less.

Speaking of scariness, I wanted to share My List of Irrational Fears. For therapeutic reasons, I guess. Here you go, in no particular order:
  1. Spiders. Any and all. Even the one I am letting live in my kitchen window. I know this is really OCD of me, but everytime I take a shower I have to hold up my towel and inspect it front and back to make sure there are no spiders on it before I dry myself off. If I forget to do that, I panic mid-dry and have to turn on the water again to wash off any spiders that might have been on my towel and got on me. I know, I know-- that makes me sound effing crazy. Live with it.
  2. Choking. I have this serious fear that I am going to choke on something. And more specifically, I am afraid I am going to choke on something while I am driving. Will I have the presence of mind to pull over? Or will I panic and crash my car and die in an accident before I can choke to death? And what if I am alone? Or worse, what if the kids are with me? What will it do to them to watch me choke to death? Naturally, however, this Irrational Fear does not stop me from stuffing my pie-hole with candy at ANY TIME, even when I am driving. Yes, I am still carrying around 20 extra pounds from being pregnant, thanks for asking.
  3. The Dark. Yes folks, I am afraid of the dark. No, I don't sleep with a nightlight-- I sleep with my husband. He's just as good. I FREAK OUT if the power goes out and I am in the windowless bathroom. When I'm home alone at night, every light in the house is on. I think fears #1 and #5 feed into this fear.
  4. Sharks. Why the eff am I afraid of sharks when I live in landlocked Utah? The nearest ocean is like, 1,000 miles away. And yet I am. I don't like going in the water at California beaches anymore because the water is too dark/dirty to see what is down there. My leg could be bitten off and I wouldn't have seen it coming (Although seeing it coming probably won't make it any better....) The ocean in the Carribean is much better because it is crystal clear, and you don't have to wet yourself every time some kelp grabs your leg like you would in the Pacific Ocean, because you can see that it is just kelp and not Jaws. But still, I had a panic attack the first time I went snorkeling (in St. Thomas, even!) because I realized how very afraid of sharks I am. This does not stop me from watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel any time I can, though... it's like watching a car wreck, you know?
  5. Eating a bug. Do NOT ask me to "open my mouth and shut my eyes", I don't care how big of a surprise you have. Will. Not. Do. It. EVER. I MUST see what is going into my mouth. This is part of the reason I don't like ground meat. I don't know WHAT might be ground in with it. I agree with Jerry Seinfeld when he said that the worst part about being blind is not knowing whether there is a bug in your food. I won't eat with my eyes closed, I won't eat in the dark. I even prefer my fruit cut up rather than whole, because you never know when you are going to bite into a peach and find a worm in the middle (a la "Labryinth), or worse, HALF A WORM. I must SEE what I am eating, and I have to look at each bite of my food before I eat it. This is going to pay off for me, because one day I will see a bug in my food, and my persistence will save me from eating it. All you schmoes who shovel food in your mouth without a second look can choke on your insects. I will be laughing at you. And then I will panic because you are choking.

11 Comments:

At Tue Oct 11, 08:15:00 PM MDT, Blogger Sarebear said...

OHmygosh. I wish I could write like YOU!!!

You are so funny! And write with SO MUCH "effing" (hee) personality!

Now I feel bad about today's post on family blogging. Eeeeeeee. You said life goes on but you don't need to know about it. Sorry!

I think I'm "personalizing" again, as my shrink would say . . . and "mindreading" too.

 
At Tue Oct 11, 09:38:00 PM MDT, Blogger Beck said...

Um, yeah, I think you are. Would it help to know I posted before I read yours?

Thanks for thinking I am funny. I can nver be when I try... seems like my best stuff is just me shooting off my mouth. Though that can get me in trouble! :)

 
At Tue Oct 11, 10:40:00 PM MDT, Blogger Sarebear said...

Eep. Now I've hurt your feelings! Sorry, I didn't mean to! I'm fine. Are you fine? Kitt would say so. Teehee.

My shrink says all these fears and stuff create a strange kind of narcissism (ie, I think everything is about me . . .lol). At least, when I'm afraid of what people said or treat me or stuff. I don't consciously do it though. Stupid anxieties.

I'm taking a break from beading; Did a marathon over the weekend. Stuff for the craft fair and then those other things.

I love everything you said. I love character traits and quirks; it really adds personality and stuff, even if bugs bug you. I could be happy if no more spiders were around, but then we'd end up with too many other bugs. Ugh.

 
At Tue Oct 11, 11:05:00 PM MDT, Blogger Beck said...

No, no you haven't hurt my feelings. There you go, "mindreading" again! :) All is well- no worries.

I wish I could marathon bead! I'm so jealous that you have a need to take a break. I've gotten so many ideas from the magazine you let me borrow! Alas, I have too much to do. Aside from the kiddies, I have to get ready for a class I am teaching at a genealogy conference this month. Plus work stuff. I really have a lot of deadlines looming this month; and all I want to do is play!

 
At Wed Oct 12, 12:22:00 AM MDT, Blogger Sarebear said...

Shoot. I should put on my Spock ears, if I had any, since I mindread so much. Lol! That'd be a funny present sometime.

I wish I could help you marathon bead. Shucks; maybe Scott and I could take the wee ones out to Betty's house and play with em sometime, whilst you relax and bead and crap. How does that sound? I say Betty's cause it's got more room for him to run around, altho once I spiff this place up (ie, pick up and maybe do a lil babyproofing) we could come up here. And you and Kitt could always meet us out there later and grab the kiddoes. Whee. This is sounding better and better. Like on a Monday, and Scott could drop me and the kids there, and I could chase Aiden all over (lol, in his daily course of playing) and take care o the girl, and Scott could go home and pick Ems up after school and bring her out. And you could have alot of playing time! Whee. And/or doing something fun w/the hub before coming out . . .

Lemme know, I'm up for it. Whee.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 01:12:00 AM MDT, Blogger Sarebear said...

Oh yeah, another note (Eee, I'm hogging this post/comments) is, go to Target, and look at a rotating display of necklaces by Emmy or something like that, at the jewelry counter. BEADS! Awesome color combos, and some "station" ideas, strung on VERY thin chain (we can get this at Fire Mtn Gems . . . Chain so thin you can bead on it, crimp either side around your station of bead(s), crimp cover, and looks cool). Scott said, tho, that I make better stuff than that display, but it did have some good ideas and stuff.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 09:41:00 AM MDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Becky, I totally inspect my towel prior to drying off. I'm also wigged out by the dark. Eating a bug? Seriously one of the worst things that could ever happen. Dude, we're totally BFF.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 09:41:00 AM MDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and I'm glad you're mom's OK.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 09:46:00 AM MDT, Blogger Beck said...

Hooray! BFF!
I'm glad I'm not crazy for inspecting my towel. I hate them SO MUCH!! And I seriously would rather starve to death than eat anything that's had a bug in it... I even have a hard time if something LOOKS like a bug in my food.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 10:53:00 AM MDT, Blogger Beck said...

Oh, GREAT. I am NOW, thanks!

Actually, I am more afraid something will crawl in my ear while I am sleeping. I forgot to put this on my list.... I sleep with my "blankie" (Yes! I still have a blankie! Bite me!) over the ear that I'm not laying on.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 11:03:00 AM MDT, Blogger failproof said...

Dood! (or Doodette) It worked great. Hooray for target="_blank". Probably not a lot of people going to get that... too bad for them :)
I know all about ignoring one's blog... though I haven't got to Sara's yet, so I don't know what you two are talking about. Life just gets busy some times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home