Thursday, September 29, 2005

Happy birthday to me!

Today's cereal: Skipped breakfast! Now how did THAT happen??
Current Mood: Content
The Boy's New Word of the Day: Sorry

So, my sweet brother Bryan took me to McDonald's for lunch today so the kids could play. It was awesome-- a nice little break. McDonald's really does have good fries. If only they had fry sauce! Looking forward to the crepes we are having for my birthday dinner. Birthdays are awesome!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did another reunion yesterday between an adoptee and her birthmother. My smoothest case ever! Except that I felt so bad charging my client the $400 fee when it only took me 20 minutes to find her birthmother. I even asked my boss if we could waive half the fee, and I wouldn't even bill the agency for my time. She said no, the crusty old biddy. We had a big argument when we first started my search & reunion program about the fee... I said $400 was way too much, she thought it wasn't enough and that was as low as she would go. I don't usually speak up; I'm not one to argue; but this was something I felt strongly about, so I surprised myself when I told her, "To me, $400 is food on my table and a roof over my head-- to you, it's a Gucci watch!" She was shocked that I said that (so was I!), and probably offended. But it's true... she lives in a ritzy neighboorhood, has never struggled for money. She doesn't know what it's like to go without something you REALLY want because you can't afford it. My heart breaks everytime I tell a hopeful adoptee that there is a $400 fee and they sigh and tell me they can't afford it. But alas, what can I do? Anyways, I am happy for my client, happy for her birthmother. They've both been thinking about the other for a long, long time. I'm glad I could hook them up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talked to my best friend today. It's been a while. I miss her. She is pregnant and sick and I can't help her becasue she's a jillion miles away. She always has good advice for me. I wish I could be a better friend to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend is the Gem Faire! Can't wait to get myself a crapload of beads. I look forward to this thing all year. I wish I had a spare $400 to throw around for this! I have big plans for a watch I want to make for my mother-in-law. I really have a great mother-in-law. I have a great mother, too! It's her half-birthday today. Happy Half-Birthday, mom! Maybe I will make you a half a cake.

3 Comments:

At Thu Sep 29, 11:14:00 PM MDT, Blogger bettyrae said...

Thanks Beck! Half a cake would be just fine!
Thanks for having a birthday so we could play....
I love you

 
At Tue Oct 04, 01:22:00 PM MDT, Blogger The Leper said...

Happy (belated) Birf-day!
If we were in Utah, we would definately cruise on by the "old stompin' grounds". Thanks for the invitation. Hopefully someday we will be able to take you up on that offer.
Oh, and don't worry about the $400 fee, I think that is the fee for most adoption reunion things. I have a couple of questions that I might be emailing you about that anyway.
Regardless, enjoy your day (hopefully it is a weekend and maybe if you are lucky a week!)

RKR

 
At Wed Oct 05, 02:52:00 PM MDT, Blogger LizzieDaisy said...

So how was the bday? I hope you had a wonderful day. Hope the Gem Faire was fun too.

I'm left wondering what happened to the other half of the cake... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home