Friday, August 26, 2005

Date Night

So a week ago today, the Hubby and I were able to go on our first date--without the kids!!-- in a long, long time. A LONG time. Seriously, a very long time. It totally rocked; in a wholesome-married-Mormon-couple way. We had gift certificates to Johnny Carino's and a movie, so we used them both. Sorry Johnny, your restaraunt is good, but it's no Olive Garden. But I will forgive you because it was SO EFFING AWESOME to be in a nice restaraunt without having to wrestle a toddler and bolt our food so we could get out before he started screaming. Yeah. We actually had A CONVERSATION. About STUFF. I died and went to heaven.

The great thing was, my brother and sister-in-law took the kids, and they live close enough to the restaraunt/movie theater that I was able to nurse the baby before we dropped them off, then go eat dinner, then run back and nurse the baby again, then go see our movie. (I would never give up breastfeeding, and in most cases I will argue that it is a zillion times more convenient than formula-feeding--except when you want to go out for more than two hours. But I digress.)

We saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I know, not the most romantic of movies to see on our first date in a bajillion years, but it was AWESOME! I liked it way better than the Gene Wilder version, for the most part. The Oompa Loompas were HI-larious, the songs were cool, the kids were perfect. Which reminds me, our dear friends' kid looks EXACTLY like the girl that played Violet Beauregard, except she's like 7 years younger. It was a creepy resemblance.

The best part was, I cried like, three times during the movie. Yes, during Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I am not kidding. This is what recently having a baby will do to you. Both times Charlie opened his chocolate bar and there was no golden ticket there-- man, the waterworks started. He was just so hopeful about getting a ticket, and he deserved it SO MUCH... and the little boy playing Charlie had such an innocent, wide-eyed look to him. It reminded me of Aiden; and then I could imagine my little boy wanting a golden ticket that much, and how disappointed he would be... I never want to see my kid that disappointed. And it got me all crying, and stuff. There was a little girl sitting next to me in the theater that must have thought I was the BIGGEST FREAK! I'd start to cry, and she'd look over at me, all concerned-like. I think she must have thought I was retarded or something. Because what kind of grown-up cries about a movie that they already know how it's going to end? And THEN when Charlie actually GOT the golden ticket, I sort of gasped, and then started crying all over again. That little girl just LOOKED at me, and then at her dad--as if to say, "trade me seats", and then back at me. It was awesome.

So, thanks again Holly & Dave for taking our kids. I'd forgotten what it's like to go out. Maybe the next step will be actually having sex again. Remember sex? It was awesome.

7 Comments:

At Fri Aug 26, 03:49:00 PM MDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Um, Olive Garden, how you say, SUCKS. Yup. I said it.

 
At Fri Aug 26, 09:27:00 PM MDT, Blogger Holly said...

It was our pleasure Beck! Thanks for letting us have the opportunity to do this favor for your and Kitt. Whenever you need a date night again, just give us a call. The kids loved playing with Aiden and Dave thinks I looked good with a babe in my arms. I enjoyed it too because I know I will not be having anymore of my own. Once again, Thanks for letting us take care of your precious ones.

 
At Sat Aug 27, 11:22:00 PM MDT, Blogger Sarebear said...

http://artgemsinc.com/Content/SearchResults.asp?Category=1&subcateg=97

Here take a look at this cool mineral. I thought it was neat looking.

I am so glad you got to go out! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I loved that you didn't let that little girl affect how you enjoyed the movie.

I totally GET what you were talking about, with getting emotional at certain stuff.

Hope you had some Kleenex . . .

 
At Sun Aug 28, 11:02:00 PM MDT, Blogger Sarebear said...

Boo! You still up? I'm at my Chatterbox!

 
At Mon Aug 29, 08:26:00 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beck...I heart you. We haven't been on a REAL date sans kidddies for some time. I don't suppose having a friend keep the kids while we go out to dinner and go shopping counts, does it? The shopping was WallyWorld, Home Depot and TJ Maxx, but the dinner was nice. Anyways...I think we remember how awesome sex can be. We had a lovely marathon romp about 7 weeks ago, which always leads to a nine month sabatical of sorts, if you catch my drift. After that, our rendezvouz moments tend to be a bit more few and far between. I am just so damn tired and yucky. Not everyone gets mega-randy like you!

 
At Mon Aug 29, 09:29:00 AM MDT, Blogger failproof said...

Announcement, Lady Atherton?
Sure sounded like one!

 
At Mon Aug 29, 10:50:00 AM MDT, Blogger Beck said...

I called her... announcement confirmed! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home