Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Bits of Today

It's my day in the office today. I am really glad, because I needed a break from The Boy. That sounds terrible, doesn't it? But caring for a toddler 24/7 is a tougher job than I ever thought possible. Not only am I exhausted in the evenings, but I am emotionally drained, too. The small moments that make it worthwhile-- the little, spontaneous hugs he gives me; the coy smiles to get my attention; the intelligent-sounding jabbering-- these moments are few, lately. I am glad to be in the office interacting with adults. But what I wouldn't GIVE for one day of freedom! A day for me to do whatever I wanted, with no Boy, no work, no church work to worry about. Most people would take such a day and go to the mountains or go shopping or something. What would I do with a day off? Spend it at the Family History Library, spinning through microfilms till I am carsick, pouring through old books, pounding away through on-line databases, all in search of my elusive great-great-great grandfather, Charles. Why am I so driven to find him?

In other news, I have a long-lost uncle. He's not really MY uncle; only by marriage. My step-grandmother placed him for adoption when he was born back in the 50's. When I found out, I talked to her about it, then recruited a searcher friend of mine to help find him. It took five years, but I met him today. He called and said he was going to be downtown, and could he stop by my office and meet me? I was nervous. I'm not super-great at small talk; so I was worried about what I would say to him; and what if there was a lull in the conversation, etc. It was fine, though! He is really a nice man, and I am happy that he will be meeting grandma and making her so happy. I'm glad I could play a role in their reunion. She has had a hole in her heart for so long, and has always wondered if he was safe and happy. Now she knows that he has been! I was planning on setting up a meeting for them at my house (so they'd both be in a neutral territory for their first meeting), but come to find out, Gerry is SUPER allergic to cats! So now I have to see if one of my brothers will play host.

I'm in such a need of a sugary snack that I just polished off a whole roll of breath mints because I have nothing else! How pathetic. Beats the Peanut M&M's that my coworker has on her desk. I HATE Peanut M&M's! Why were they invented? They are vile! Now, the Peanut BUTTER M&M's--that's a different story. But hey, I have Baskin Robbins to look forward to. For Yahoo's 10th anniversary, they are giving away free ice cream cones! Mmmmmmm.... ice cream....

7 Comments:

At Wed Mar 02, 04:16:00 PM MST, Blogger Unknown said...

That was really sweet of you to do all that for your grandmother. This is gonna sound sappy, but I'm glad I have friends that would do something like that.

Free ice-cream is good. Actually, free anything is good.

 
At Wed Mar 02, 04:26:00 PM MST, Blogger Beck said...

Aw, Shucks! It's what I do.

Part of the drive of being a genealogist is the ache of not knowing who your relatives are, where they came from, what they loved and felt and saw. I just couldn't imagine an ache so big as it would be for a child you didn't get to know.

 
At Thu Mar 03, 09:00:00 AM MST, Blogger Scott said...

Beck,

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on Peanut M&M's. I love them - even though they tried to kill me . Despite your hatred of M&M's I am pleased to announce that I would like to add you to my "Hotties" links section. I am looking for permission. Feel free to say no - I'll just do it anyway.

 
At Thu Mar 03, 11:01:00 AM MST, Blogger Beck said...

WAHOOO!!! I am officially a Hottie!! How I've longed for this moment! OMG, What will I wear to the unveiling ceremony of your updated Links Section? You WILL be having a ceremony, won't you?

 
At Thu Mar 03, 12:15:00 PM MST, Blogger Scott said...

Yep - red carpet and everything. Just like the Oscars - but Chris Rock won't be there.

 
At Thu Mar 03, 12:41:00 PM MST, Blogger Beck said...

Oooo, and I hope that Renee Zellwegger won't be there either. She creeps me out. She looked like a skinny man in drag, seriously!! Her shoulders were broader than her hips. Am I the only one who noticed? I kept looking for an adams apple.

Give me Salma Hayek anyday. If I were a lesbian, I'd totally go for her. (Except that it would bother me that she's prettier than me. I always want to be "the hot one" in any relationship).

 
At Thu Mar 03, 01:19:00 PM MST, Blogger Scott said...

OMG! You are my new favorite person. We had an Oscar party and I was grabbing anyone who would listen, "Look at Renee Zellwegger! What happened to her!!?? Look!! It looks like she just bit a lemon!" She used to be cute - but she fuglified herself somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home