Friday, February 03, 2006

I'm back. Okay already!

Today's cereal: Western Family Brand "Crisp Rice". Whatever.

News!
I balanced my checkbook the other day, for the first time in like, 3 months. Seriously. I prefer the "what I don't know won't hurt me" approach to my finances. But I finally gave in and did the math. And boy, are we in trouble. No, make that Trouble (note the capital T!). So after a sleepless night, I went in to the office on Wednesday to talk to my boss. It turns out that the girl who took over my full-time position when I quit is now quitting herself, to go to school. I asked my boss if I needed to turn in a formal resume and application if I wanted the Adoption Assistant position again. She literally, physically, brightened and said, "how about part-time?"

Seriously, this is too perfect an opportunity to just be coincidence. Laugh if you must, but a prayer has just been answered. I had resigned myself to taking a full-time position, but Beth up and OFFERED part time. And they are TOTALLY willing to let me set the schedule I want.

So, starting in March sometime, I will be working three days a week instead of just one. After a year and a half of being a (mostly) stay-at-home mom, going back to work is a little daunting. The worst part will be leaving Robin. Aiden is ready, in NEED of the social interaction that daycare will provide-- but Robin? She's and I are so very bonded. I think it will probably be harder on me than her, but the move to bottle-feeding half the week will probably be a kick in the teeth--er, make that tooth-- for her.

The daycare thing has been freaking me out; until yesterday when I went and visited a place I am considering. It was really cool! I think Aiden will really like it. I've almost pretty much decided that is where I want my kids to be. Everything feels so right. And the prospect of not having to worry about whether my grocery check will bounce, or what we will pawn if our car breaks down, or actually having money in a savings account and possibly going on vacation! Ah, relief.

AND, I'm going to see if I can fenagle (is that how you spell that?) a half-day off at least once a month, so while the kids are all taken care of at daycare, I can go with my mom to the Family History Library. That would be so hott.


Stay tuned for my next blog post where I have pictures of what the Kirby Salesman vacuumed off our floor. Exciting, I know!

6 Comments:

At Sat Feb 04, 12:24:00 AM MST, Blogger Carly said...

Working part time is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Good luck!

PS: Read Flylady.net and make routines and make your husband help. Don't try to do everything yourself!! He will need to pitch in more.

 
At Sat Feb 04, 10:07:00 AM MST, Blogger Beck said...

Thanks Carly!
I think it will be good for my kids, too, after seeing this childcare center... The Boy just watches TV all day with me while I take care of the baby and the house. But at this center he'll be doing activities and singing songs and playing with other kids and LEARNING! It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be OKAY!!

 
At Sat Feb 04, 12:30:00 PM MST, Blogger Sarebear said...

Yes. Do what is best for your family, and any detractors can just stew in their own bitter judgement.

It is YOUR life, and anyone trying to imply or say that what you are doing is wrong, or that THEIR way is the only right way, well, that type of person has control issues, I've learned. They think they are right, and everyone else is wrong . . . and they think the world revolves around them, and the way they do things.

Their way may have worked for them, but that is THEIR life, and this is YOURS. I have a big problem with people who try to impose their systems and ways of things on other people. And yes, I know everyone does it to a certain degree, because we all interact with the world from our point of view. But some try to ram it down our throats . . .

 
At Sun Feb 05, 11:03:00 AM MST, Blogger Holly said...

I am so very excited for you Beck! I think it will be difficult at times for you, but in the long run, it will be a blessing for you and your family. Not to mention all those people you come into contact with that you are helping with your job. You have a special talent at finding people and helping them out when it comes to finding their adoptive parents/child and then letting them meet for the first time. It takes a special person to be in that field and even though you need to share yourself with the outside world and not be able to be a full-time mom at this time, it's where Heavenly Father wants you to be at this time in your life. I believe you are helping in the His great cause of sealing families together for eternity and to do that, they have to be reunited first and you are just the person to do that! Good luck in your new endeavor! If you need anything, just ask. Oh, by the way, do I not get to spend the afternoon with you and mom to do family history research downtown?

 
At Mon Feb 06, 09:18:00 AM MST, Blogger Beck said...

You bet you can come, Holly! I will let you know if I can work out a regular day to do this.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. I'm nervous about this, so any less-than-positive feedback I get sounds doubly harsh to me. I need lots of "everything will be fine"'s...

 
At Mon Feb 06, 02:04:00 PM MST, Blogger Unknown said...

Everything will be fine. AND since you'll be childless, it may be easier to go to lunch once in a while. Woo hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home